A Blog on Books and my reviews on it!!

A Blog on the books I read and my honest opinions about them

Saturday 20 March 2010

7. 2 States by Chetan Bhagat


2 states by Chetan Bhagat is a story about an Indian couple who are in love and wants to get married. The book's back cover summarizes the whole plot.
Around the world : Boy loves girl, girl loves boy and they get married.
in India there are a few more steps: Boy loves girl, girl loves boy, boy's parents have to love girl, girl's parents have to love boy, boy's parents and girl's parents should love each other.
That's the plot in a nutshell. About how Punjabi boy and a Tamilian girl fall in love with each other and how they convince their parents for their marriage.
There were many sarcasms involving Tamilian Brahmins and their way of life, and being one did find it little bid bad, but the author actually compromised for it by making equal fun of Punjabis and managed to wade through that thin line. Though the story and the outcome is very much predictable, the author's way of handling it is very interesting and funny.
At the end, it felt like I had just watched a light hearted comedy movie.

I would rate it 7/10 .

6 comments:

  1. I read this book. I am wondering why he re-creates bollywood in books too..Too much masala. Personally I think his books sell because he writes about IIT and IIM.. His language is not flamboyant by any stretch of imagination...

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah.. you are right about his language fluency... its very indianised English. (I know that's not even a word)
    He actually studied in IIT and then in IIM. May be that's why he is so fond them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book sounds like a Bollywood comedy movie material...but oh wait I guess there would definitely be many movies similar to this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah.. like the movie Ek duje ke liye... Oh wait! there's a big difference though.. In the movie the guy is from tamilnadu and the girl a punjabi one, but here the girl is from TN and guy from Punjab.
    LOL....
    You can give it a go.. it isn't that bad as it sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seem to think that his standard has dropped a lot.. I also don't like the way he makes caricatures of South Indians!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its a good timepass...After a week, I dont remember anything from the book.

    ReplyDelete